Serverless platforms significantly reduce the cost of running high-performance web sites and API services in the cloud, but with a major impact on architecture, these services also require teams to re-think how to approach sessions, storage, authorization and testing.
Join Gojko Adzic, a key contributor to Claudia.js (a popular open-source deployment tool for AWS Lambda) in this a practical workshop for developers and architects that want to take advantage of the latest trends in cloud computing: serverless apps and cloud functions.
Through hands-on exercises and teamwork, you’ll learn about using AWS Lambda and API Gateway to create responsive event-driven micro-services, auto-scaling web APIs, and high-performance web sites.
By the end of the workshop, you will create a useful real-world serverless application, exploring the typical architectural patterns.
Day 1 – Getting started with Lambda and performing basic tasks
- Introduction to AWS Lambda and API Gateway
- Logging, monitoring and analytics in a serverless world
- Connecting Lambda functions to storage (S3)
- Invoking Lambda functions from Web APIs
- Securing Lambda functions.
Day 2 – Architecting serverless applications
- Designing applications for share-nothing architectures
- How to achieve user sessions and still work at scale
- Key things to consider when talking to third-party APIs
- Authentication and authorization with serverless applications
- How to design testable Lambda functions
- How to set up your workflow for teamwork and versioning.
What will you learn in this course?
- Use AWS Lambda and API Gateway
- Perform file conversion, image serving, connecting to third-party APIs and managing sessions with serverless architectures
- Design scalable, high-performance web sites with single-page apps backed by cloud APIs
- Get the most out of AWS integrations (AWS Cognito and AWS IoT Gateway)
- Identify how serverless architecture impacts testing, monitoring and deployments
- Run A/B tests easily and operate multiple versions of your system cheaply by learning best practice
- Start converting monolithic applications to cloud functions
- Use Amazon Serverless Application Model (SAM) and Claudia.js to deploy Lambda functions.