Domain-Driven Design (DDD) is an approach to software design that focuses on the application’s domain or problem area. It is a technique for aligning the implementation and team topology with the underlying structure of the domain.
This training course will teach you all the fundamentals of DDD. How to collaborate between stakeholders from the business side and software development side to ensure the software meets the needs of the business.
Creating a shared understanding of the domain through various modelling techniques, from Business Model Canvas at the company strategy level via EventStorming and Context Mapping for exploration & design to domain-specific languages in tactical and architectural patterns.
Learn to build a scalable and decoupled system optimized for correct domain behaviour without sacrificing execution performance. The secret to a successful implementation lies in the proper segregation of models and a focus on language.
Join Marco Heimeshoff for this five half-day modules workshop as he’ll guide you to build semantic models with a high alignment between business and code.
This workshop is for Architects and Senior Developers with a strong interest in Domain-Driven Design and modern message-driven architectures.
You should know about software product delivery. Experience in software architecture and coding paradigms is welcome but not required.
Software is usually written to solve actual business problems, yet the connection between understanding the domain and designing the code is often poorly understood or dismissed.
We will explore all intersections in the software development process. We will take the entire journey from strategic analysis and domain exploration to system design, architectural blueprints and implementation.
In this course, you will learn how to approach any modelling situation at various flight levels, and you will start building your own toolbelt of heuristics to adapt to any future needs.
Learn about the systemic forces between business strategy, team topologies and software architecture and become an expert in designing and implementing a software system aligned with the domain in a simple, cohesive and decoupled way.
Marco will help you to put your energy where the business value is by letting you partition your team by their expertise and outsource the busy work.
The first three sessions focus strongly on business strategy, exploratory modelling and strategic design. The last two sessions dive deep into implementing domain models with CQRS and EventSourcing.
The agenda will constantly dynamically adjust to the level and expectations of the attendees.
- Domain-Driven Design overview: Essential ideas and terminology
- Understanding your business model and the stakeholder needs
- Explore various methods for collaborative exploration
- Why, how and when to apply Domain-Driven Design
- The forces that shape your solution
- Introduction to various flavours of EventStorming
- Synchronising mental models in the problem space
- Exploring options to improve the solution space
- Heuristics to generate value from an EventStorming model.
- Optimize strategy using Subdomain Mapping
- Context Mapping – Align your architecture with your organizational structure
- Discover heuristics to design and decouple bounded contexts
- Cynefin – Different Levels of complexity in strategic design.
- Hexagonal Architecture – Ports and Adapters in action
- Tactical DDD Patterns – Exercises in implementing domain models
- Events – Atomic building blocks of your domain
- Projections – Poly Structured information into various read models
- Implementation using Behaviour-Driven Development.
- CQRS overview: Essential ideas and terminology
- Dealing with scalability, performance and eventual consistency
- Implementing policies with Sagas
- Strategies for long-lived, evolving and distributed systems
- Benefits, risks and socio-technical implications of CQRS and Event Sourcing.
- Understand Domain-Driven Design (DDD) and when it applies
- Learn to model the domain and explore multiple solutions to choose from
- Align your design with your business needs using CQRS and DDD
- Build scalable and decoupled applications with Event Sourcing.
Online Workshop – How does it work
We will meet online in a virtual classroom and use presentation through screen share, collaborative architecture modelling on Miro and Solo- and Mob-programming with screen-shared IDEs. The modules are designed to help you learn in a brain-friendly way. Every module will begin with an interactive lecture and lead to a collaborative exercise. Discussions and questions are encouraged all the time.
The workshop will happen online and in live streaming: the trainer and all other participants will be in a video conference. You’ll be interacting and working together in real-time thanks to a variety of tools you’ll have at your disposal.
The workshop will keep its highly interactive and hands-on spirit despite being online.
This is why we require that all participants keep their webcam on for the whole duration of the workshop: this will enhance the quality of the communication and the workshop as a whole.
You won’t be sitting at your desk watching slides and videos, and you’ll be engaged in real-time activities for the majority of the time… as if we were in a real classroom!
Why should you buy a ticket
These patterns will help you to put your energy where the business value is, by letting you partition your team by their expertise and outsource the busy work.
Drawing from Domain-Driven Design concepts, we’ll write code with Command Query Responsibility Segregation and learn how Event Sourcing tells a story in domain terms.
We’ll also learn how to keep your software system design in line with your organisation’s needs, improve readability, and strengthen your communication with key stakeholders.