Deep Dive into Building Antifragile Software with Microservices
Are you ready to learn how to make your code stand the test of time?
Change is inevitable and the pace of innovation is increasing all the time.
Ever experienced that moment where your heart sinks at the words “We just want you to make this one, small and trivial change…”.
If you build software, change is an inevitable force in your life and your ability to react to change can be the difference between a killer product and a last-to-the-post flop.
Given that change and speed of software evolution is so critical, why is it that so much software becomes a millstone around yourself and your team’s necks, leaving you dreading the next inevitable change that’s needed? For over 10 years, the focus has been consistently applied to helping us work in a more agile and adaptable fashion, with far less focus on how to create software that thrives in an agile environment.
As companies are becoming more and more agile, and we see how they can now adapt in order to innovate and compete faster than their competition, software development teams are being forced to maintain and evolve large, monolithic applications at a pace of change that those architectures were never meant to withstand, let alone embrace!
Microservices are a new approach to architecting applications that embrace and thrive on change. They are simple, single-purpose, lightweight architectural components that enable you to deliver software faster.
The microservice architectural approach also aims to lead to software that thrives on change while at the same time being secure, performant, and stable.
Expect to get your hands dirty
This hands-on, extremely practical course will teach you how and why to design, deploy and manage micro service based architectures.
Using microservices, this course will teach you how to build software that adapts as fast as your business and requirements do.
- Attendees will practice the design approaches on their own, real, systems
- Attendees will have the time to attempt to develop their own microservices, using their own preferred technology stack, applying the patterns discussed
- Attendees will be shown a number of canonical examples of how to apply the patterns using Spring Boot/Java/Docker.
What will you learn in this course?
- You will learn why Antifragile Software is the key to enabling software systems that thrive on change and enable innovation.
- You will learn how to architect, design, build, deploy and manage antifragile software systems using microservices.
Day 1 – Architecture & Design for Simplicity and Antifragility:
- Introducing Antifragile Software and Simplicity
- Defining Microservices in term of their Principles, Benefits and Challenges
- Understand and explore the forces (stressors) of change on software
- Applying Simplicity, with O.R.E.
- Architecting and Designing for Software System Evolution with the Life Preserver tool
- Organising for concerns and simple components
- How to collaborate to discover change stressors on your software system
- Organising components for change
Day 2 – Implementing Antifragile Software with Simple Components, Events & Microservices:
- Exploring and Managing change-stressor fault-lines between areas of your system
- Designing software bridges that handle change across fault-lines
- Applying de-coupling intelligently, balancing flexility and complexity
- Applying Request-Response, Messaging and Events
- Designing, when to apply and implement Postel’s Law
Day 3 – Deploying, Running, Testing & Managing Antifragile Software with Microservices:
- Extracting components into Microservices
- Building, Deploying and Managing Effective Unix-style Microservice Pipelines
- Simplifying Microservice Management using Immutable Service Deployments
- Designing and Implementing Reactive Microservices
- Applying effective health and monitoring for microservices
- Designing and Implementing Microservice Failover and Auto-Recovery Strategies using the Circuit Breaker Pattern and Friends
- Designing and Implementing for Autonomy with Microservice ‘Cells’
- Enabling Governance and Innovation with Microservices
- Enabling Variation and Experimentation in Languages and Frameworks through Microservices
- Testing stressors for failure to avoid failure
- Testing and Continuous Delivery for Microservices
This course is ideal for any development team that wants to build software that is designed to be able to adapt.
Code examples and exercises will be shown in Java although previous experience with Java is not mandated as many of the key takeaways will be applicable regardless of your choice of language, framework or platform.
In which language will be teach the workshop?
The workshop will be held in English, however Alberto Brandolini will be there to facilitate discussion whenever needed, to help with translation, and to take visual notes.
The workshop is subject to the confirmation of a minimum number of registered and fully paid attendees/participants.
I tuoi non ti mandano? Partecipi di nascosto?
L'IVA te la facciamo risparmiare
Se ti stai iscrivendo al corso a titolo personale, probabilmente non hai modo di scaricare l'IVA.
In questo caso, c'è una tariffa speciale per te, con uno sconto del 20% sul prezzo corrente del biglietto.
Lo sconto non è cumulabile con altri codici promozionali.